Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Homemade Vanilla Extract

It is a good thing that no one visits this blog yet or I would be caught giving out some of my Christmas present secrets early. : ) After seeing many similar projects on Pinterest I decided that I had to attempt this project to give out as a homemade gift this year.   I mean who wouldn't love fresh homemade vanilla extract. 

I started out ordering these bottles and vanilla beans from amazon, and picked up a 1.75 of cheap unflavored vodka from the liquor store.
Vodka and vanilla beans steeping.

To start the project I ran the bottles through the dishwasher and allowed them to dry.  Then I split the vanilla beans in half and again down the center of each bean.  I then placed 2 full beans in each bottle and filled the bottle with 6 ounces of vodka.  And that is it folks. For the next 6 weeks the vodka and vanilla beans will need to steep, and then will be ready for whatever baking adventure you have planned. I am keeping the bottles in a cool, dry spot, but even in the back of your spice cabinet will work. Once you start to run low on vanilla extract you may add more unflavored vodka to the bottle and repeat the steeping process.

To finish my bottles into presents I have created the following labels using Microsoft Word and plan to attach them with ribbon.  Once I actually complete this step I will add the finish product photo.
Labels- need to be cut out and attached to bottles.
Good thing we have 5 more days until Christmas. : )

*** Edited to add finish product photo.

No comments: